A licensed civil engineer with experience in structural design, project management, and bridge program management. Highly organized and independent, with the ability to effectively manage complex schedules and delegate tasks, for the completion of projects in a timely manner. Self-starter who works well with minimal supervision. Competent communicator that employs a team approach to achieve desired results.
B.S., Civil Engineering, University of South Florida – Tampa, FL (2003-2008)
LICENSES AND CERTIFICATIONS
- Registered Professional Engineer in the State of Florida – P.E. License No. 78594
- Registered Professional Engineer in the State of Kansas – P.E. License No. 25571
- Registered Professional Engineer in the State of Arkansas – P.E. License No. 17462
- Registered Professional Engineer in the State of Oklahoma – P.E. License No. 28807
Omega Forensic Engineering, Inc., Parkland, FL, 2020 – Present
- Performs forensic evaluations of buildings and structures to evaluate cause and origin of distressed conditions. Evaluations typically include inspections, documentation, and engineering reports.
Bay Glass & Window, Inc., St. Petersburg, FL, July 2019- Present
- Responsible for managing the daily operations for both the residential and commercial divisions, including oversight of 6 glazing crews. Conduct meetings with homeowners and general contractors to explore options for meeting all local code requirements for impact glazing and required design pressures and provide value engineering to ensure a budget-friendly solution. Prepare estimates and contract documents for projects, procure materials, and oversee fabrication activities for storefront and curtain wall systems.
- Worked with vendors to create wholesale distribution opportunities for builders and contractors, creating an additional revenue channel with high growth potential.
- Responsible for increasing revenues in the residential division by nearly 20% each quarter since Q3 2019.
- Created a implemented a marketing strategy to increase inbound sales calls nearly 50% in the last 6 months.
- Established goals and metrics for project managers to drive production and achieved a 15% savings over-budgeted man-hours on nearly $400k worth of projects in Q1 2020.
Genesee & Wyoming Railroad, Southlake, TX, August 2017- July 2019
Director of Bridges & Structures – Central/Southern Region
- Responsible for managing all capital repair and replacement programs, FRA Bridge Management Programs, and bridge inspection programs, for nearly 2,000 bridges across 10 states. Managed all bridge contractors performing work on the region, as well as internal bridge gangs performing maintenance work and repairs. Developed and lead annual training classes across the region to certify maintenance-of-way employees in areas including Bridge Worker Safety, FRA 213 Compliance, Continuous Welded Rail Programs, and Engineering Safety Rules.
- Managed a capital bridge repair budget for 14 different railroads, totaling nearly $7M annually.
- Developed a Bridge Management Program for compliance with FRA requirements and ensured that each railroad on the territory was operating in accordance with the program.
- Trained nearly 400 employees each year on Bridge Worker Safety and Fall Protection Certification, as well as inspection of timber, steel and concrete bridges.
- Specified repair means and methods, as well as procured materials, for contractors working on the region to repair bridges.
- Performed calculations to rate bridges in order to clear heavy-wide loads across the bridges along critical routes.
Koppers Railroad Structures Inc., Mission, KS, January 2015 – August 2017
- Responsible for supporting all sales, engineering, inspection, design, repair and construction functions by meeting with existing and potential customers to discuss concerns related to railroad bridges, making site visits to analyze bridge deficiencies and recommending repairs, preparing bid documents and contracts, coordinating contract execution, and maintaining contract records. Responsible for inspecting railroad bridges and helping customer railroads formulate annual capital and maintenance programs that fall within allotted budgets. Maintain customer relations by providing the highest level of customer service including making site visits to monitor construction activities, as establishing quality assurance measures and ensuring quality control of the finished project.
- Assisted roughly 30 short line railroad customers with preparing both 2015 and 2016 repair programs and provided budget estimates for all proposed repairs.
- Rated approximately 20 bridges for capacity to carry 286,000 lb. rail traffic, as well as various overdimension and heavy load shipment requests.
- Performed various audits of customers’ bridge management programs for compliance with FRA requirements.
- Provided bridge inspection training for employees of several customer railroads.
- Attended multiple pre-bid meetings to gather site information, measurements, and any other information required to prepare a formal bid for construction services.
- Secured approximately $4M worth of bridge repair work for construction crews in 2015.
- Developed spreadsheet software to analyze the structural capacity of bridge members and aid in the design of new and replacement members.
- Prepared a plan for installing new miter rails on a swing-span bridge in Davenport, IA.
- Active member of AREMA Committee 9 since 2011.
- Active member of Toastmasters International since 2014.
Norfolk Southern Railway, Atlanta, GA, August 2009 – January 2015
Assistant Engineer – Structures, 2013-2015
- Managed a bridge rehabilitation and replacement program for portions of the northeastern United States, with an average of 30 projects running simultaneously at any given time. Responsible for all aspects of projects ranging from conception and design to construction and completion. Responsible for performing site visits to assess structural deficiencies of bridges and culverts, and recommending remedial action. Calculated loads on railroad bridges and drafted plans for repairs and replacement structures. Responsible for conducting annual inspection audits to ensure accuracy and consistency for structure ratings across the system. Hosted job showings for contractors and managed various consulting engineers for design and construction oversight services. Reviewed material and construction submittals for compliance with AREMA and project specifications.
- Managed a 2013 bridge repair/replacement program consisting of 28 bridge projects and 40 drainage projects, with an annual budget of approximately $8M.
- Responsible for designing in excess of 20 steel bridge spans ranging from 20 ft. to 70 ft. in length, in accordance with AREMA Specifications.
- Drafted repair plans for nearly 80 steel and concrete bridge rehabilitation projects using Bentley Microstation.
- Helped to manage an intermodal yard expansion project on Chicago’s south side, valued at $40M.
- Managed a project involving the replacement of 24 counterweight rope cables on a vertical lift bridge over the Calumet River in Chicago.
- Managed a project involving the replacement of a bull gear assembly on a vertical lift bridge in Cleveland, OH.
- Managed environmental consultants and contractors for a $1M drainage project on a U.S. E.P.A. Superfund Site in Ohio.
- Performed all design and drafting of plans for the total replacement of a state road overhead bridge, in accordance with AASHTO Bridge Design Specifications.
- Performed runoff analysis and sized culvert structures for 200 plus drainage projects.
- Created stress analysis and capacity rating programs using spreadsheet software.
Associate Engineer, 2009-2013
- Reported to Engineer of Structures and assisted with the design and coordination for numerous projects across the Norfolk Southern system. Performed design calculations for repair and replacement projects including steel superstructures, cast-in-place concrete superstructures and substructures, pile foundations, spread footing foundations, gravity and soldier pile retaining walls, masonry substructures, and arches. Responsible for procuring material for nearly 200 drainage projects.
- Coordinated a project involving the rehabilitation of multiple sheave wheels on a vertical lift bridge in Hannibal, MO.
- Prepared estimates and formally requested funding for approximately 100 bridge and drainage projects.
- Responsible for the design and project management for the replacement of a span on a railway hump bridge in Birmingham, AL.
- Performed over 40 bridge inspection audits across Norfolk Southern’s operating territory.
- Designed tie decks for approximately 10 open-deck bridges.
Fred S. Cardwell, P.E., Largo, FL, May 2008 – August 2009
- Responsible for performing structural calculations and for the design of timber, steel, and concrete structures, to comply with local building codes. Supervised AutoCAD drafting output to ensure quality and on-time delivery for customers.
- Created spreadsheet software to calculate design stresses in timber framing members and connections for residential buildings.
- Prepared packages for various companies for submittal into the Florida Department of Business & Professional Regulation’s Manufactured Building database.
- Performed design calculations and drafted plans for the construction of a 1,500- seat grandstand for a high school football stadium in Tennessee.
- Performed site visits to structures with deficiencies to recommend remedial actions.